Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences

Victim Information

If you are a victim of sexual violence you are not alone, and you are in no way responsible for your assault.

What to do if you are a Victim of Sexual Violence

  • If you are not safe and need immediate help, call 911. If the incident happened on campus, call OSU-CHS Security at 918-625-8592. If the incident occurred elsewhere in Tulsa, call the Tulsa Police Department at 918-596-9222. If the incident happened anywhere else, call the law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction in the location where it occurred.
  • Do what you need to do to feel safe. Go to a safe place or contact someone with whom you are comfortable. You can call the 24-hour Rape Crisis Line 918-743-5763 to get advice and discuss options for how to proceed.
  • Students can also call¬†
    Cindie Lamon
    OSU-CHS Victim Advocate
  • Do not shower, bathe, douche, change or destroy clothes, eat, drink, smoke, chew gum, take any medications or straighten the room or place of the incident. Preserving evidence is critical for criminal prosecution. Although you may not want to prosecute immediately after the incident, that choice will not be available later without credible evidence. The evidence collected can also be useful in the campus conduct process.
  • Go to the Hillcrest Medical Center to receive care for any physical injuries that may have occurred. Upon arrival at Hillcrest Medical Center, you will be taken to a private exam area. A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE), a sexual assault response advocate and police officer will be available for support. You will be examined by the nurse in order to treat any injuries and to gather evidence. While in the emergency room, treatment will be provided for sexually transmitted diseases and to prevent pregnancy. These services are free of charge.
  • With your permission, the sexual assault response advocate will support you throughout the entire exam, which will be performed by the nurse. The advocate will provide a packet of written materials that contains information about common reactions to sexual assault, follow-up medical needs and support services.

On and Off Campus Resources

Sexual harassment and sexual violence can be emotionally disruptive, and it takes time to come to terms with such major stress. In addition to support that may be found in family and friends, the following agencies and departments can serve as resources.

It is important to be aware that different individuals who one may contact for assistance following an incident may have different responsibilities regarding confidentiality, depending on their position. Under state law, some individuals can assure the victim of confidentiality, including counselors and certified victims’ advocates. In general, however, any other university employee cannot guarantee complete confidentiality, unless specifically provided by law. Universities must balance the needs of the individual victim with an obligation to protect the safety and well-being of the community at large.


OSU-CHS Victim Advocate (Confidential Reporting Option)

A Victim Advocate is an individual who can confidentially provide students with information about on- and off- campus resources available to victims.

Cindie Lamon
Felmlee Building, B143C

Counseling Resources (Confidential Reporting Options)

Student Counseling Center
Main Hall 2419, OSU-Tulsa
The first five sessions are free.

Counseling services available through ComPsych’s Guidance Resources

DVIS/Call Rape
4300 S. Harvard Ave., Suite 100
Tulsa, OK 74135
24-hour Crisis Line: 918-743-5763

Local Services Available To Victims (Non-Confidential Reporting Options)

  • OSU-CHS Security
    First Floor CAME Building
  • Tulsa Police Department
    600 Civic Center, STE 303
    Tulsa, OK 74103
  • Title IX Coordinator
    Tina Tappana, Director Human Resources
    Main Hall 1405, OSU-Tulsa

It’s important to have a thorough medical examination after a sexual assault even if the victim does not have any apparent physical injuries. Medical providers can treat injuries and test for sexually transmitted infections.

Hillcrest Medical Center
1120 S Utica Avenue
Tulsa, OK 74104

Further educational information on sexual violence prevention can be found at http://1is2many.okstate.edu.

Also, check out http://notalone.gov for more information and resources.

OSU-CHS on Facebook OSU-CHS on Twitter OSU-CHS on Foursquare OSU Medicine on YouTube Google+